About the project
Minnesota River Valley flooding has created maintenance and travel challenges for the local community and MnDOT for decades. After completing a Flood Feasibility Study in 2017 and securing state funding in 2020, Hwy 93 will be raised approximately eight feet, putting it one foot above historic high-water events.
Sibley County also received flood mitigation funding for CR 6. Between 2022 and 2025, CR 6, Hwy 19, and Hwy 93 will all have improvements related to flood mitigation.
Summary of work
- Reconstruct 3.6 miles of Hwy 93 from Hwy 169 to Elm St.
- Raise Hwy 93 roadway up to eight feet
- Replace Rush River Bridge
- Construct additional overflow bridge to allow for Rush River flood relieve
- Draft layout - January 2023: Hwy 93 layout (PDF)
- Improve the pavement for a smoother roadway
- Provide a safe and accessible route in and out of Henderson during high-water events
Hwy 93 traffic will be detoured during construction: