Detours for motorists in 2021
Detours are estimated to be removed by August 27, 2021, weather permitting.
- The ramp for eastbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63 is closed (Exit 209A) at Stewartville.
- Northbound Hwy 63 to westbound I-90: Motorists go north to the Hwy 30/Olmsted County Road 8 exit at the airport, return to southbound Hwy 63 and connect with westbound I-90 on-ramp.
- Southbound Hwy 63 to eastbound I-90: Motorists travel south to 20th and do a U-turn to travel north on Hwy 63 to use the I-90 eastbound on-ramp.
- Westbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63 follow same route during bridge deck removal.
Two traffic changes on Hwy 63 in the work zone started March 26
- Traffic in each direction will be in single lanes adjacent to each other using the northbound lanes.
- A temporary traffic signal will be in place at Schumann Drive NW in Stewartville through August.
Motorists should also be aware of changes that remain in place for Olmsted County Road 8 and Hwy 30:
- Stop sign changes at Hwy 30/ Olmsted County Road 8 – the intersection at Hwy 30 and Olmsted County Road 8 has changed. Motorists on eastbound Hwy 30 will need to stop at a stop sign before turning north or south onto Olmsted County Road 8. Motorists on Olmsted County Road 8 will not have a stop sign.
- Hwy 30 detour – the intersection of Hwy 30 west and Hwy 63 is closed and rerouted. Hwy 63 motorists who want to access Hwy 30 west of Hwy 63 will exit at Olmsted County Road 16, (the interchange that serves Rochester International Airport), travel west to Olmsted County Road 8 south to Hwy 30 west.
About this project
Summary of work
MnDOT began construction at the I-90 and Hwy 63 interchange just north of Stewartville spring of 2020. The 2-year project will address several existing conditions including: intersection safety issues, congestion issues, functionally obsolete bridges, inadequate deceleration, acceleration and merge lanes, and sight issues.
During the two-year construction project, both Hwy 63 bridges will be replaced, Hwy 30 west rerouted, some I-90 exit ramps will be added or realigned and the access to 90th Street SE will be closed and rerouted.
Construction started again in spring 2021 and is scheduled to be complete in August of 2021.
- Close Hwy 30 access to Hwy 63 at current location, the new Hwy 30 will follow Olmsted County Rd 8 north to Olmsted County Rd 16 east then to Hwy 63 south
- Construct extension of 90th St. SE to the east then north to connect to 85th St. SE
- Construct new westbound I-90 entrance ramp further to the north
- Construct new loop ramp for westbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63
- Construct new ramp for westbound I-90 to northbound Hwy 63
- Replace Hwy 63 bridges, widened for 3 lanes and shoulders, extended acceleration and merge lane for northbound Hwy 63
- Lengthen deceleration lane for eastbound I-90 exit to northbound Hwy 63
- Construct new eastbound I-90 entrance ramp further to the south
- Close median south of interchange