Highway 4 north of Sleepy Eye to open soon
MANKATO, Minn. – The detour for the intersection of Highway 4 and Brown County Road 29 roundabout is expected to be removed by late this week (Oct. 6), weather permitting.
Highway 4 and County Road 29 have been detoured since July 9. Striping and seeding remain left to do on the project. Good weather and the stripers schedule will determine the actual date the intersection can open. Final seeding will take place later under traffic. Visit 511mn.org for the most current road conditions.
The installation of a single-lane roundabout at the Highway 4/County Road 29 intersection will improve safety at the intersection, which is a sustained crash location with fatalities occurring in 2014 and 2015. More information and videos on roundabouts can be found at mndot.gov/roundabouts/.
Basic tips for driving roundabouts include:
- Slow down when approaching a roundabout. For multi-lane roundabouts, as with any intersection, get into the appropriate lane.
- Yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. Merge into the traffic flow when it is safe.
- Continue through the roundabout until you reach your exit. Do not stop or pass in a roundabout.
- Exit the roundabout immediately if an emergency vehicle approaches, and then pull over. Do not stop in the roundabout.
- Give large trucks extra space in a roundabout. Large trucks may straddle both lanes while driving through a multi-lane roundabout.
Mathiowetz of Sleepy Eye, MN, was awarded the project with a bid of $1,792,000.
For information on all 2018 construction projects near Sleepy Eye, including detour maps, visit mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy14hwy4sleepyeye.